Wednesday 3 April 2013

Casting/Modelling

I know that I've been doing digital sculpting and modeling, but how about some PHYSICAL MODELLING?!?!
I've shown before that I make terrain for wargaming, but I recently got some Epoxy resin and RTV silicone. This is used for modeling! (I also purchased some non-de script modeling clay, the kind you'd use at school, i.e. Plasticine)
Using masters of items (here I used Concrete barricades and barrels, at 28mm scale) I covered them in RTV silicone rubber and left to dry for a couple hours. I removed the masters and was left with this beauty!

The Epoxy resin is a two parter. Mixing them both together gives you a few minutes pot life, so get working fast! I filled the mould and left to set for about an hour (it takes about 15 mins to harden, but they are still a bit soft/squishy, so I left a little longer)
This was the result! Looking great, they just need cleaned down (file off the leftover flash and imperfections)
 This was the main one I wanted to look great. The Imperial seal from Warhammer 40K, it's only on one barrel (as it was the only one from the master barrels) and it's come out looking great. The detail of the barrel has damage, bumps and cuts, but that is part of that particular barrel, not an issue with the mould.
More detailed items, like weapons and character models will be done in a 2-part mould, which takes longer to make, but it gives you a great finish and all the required detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment