Monday 18 March 2013

Depth Of Field test

Using After Effects and two photographs, I put together a test piece.

I masked out a photograph of a skateboarder, then placed it onto a Background of a road.
Enabling a 3D layer, I moved the background back on the Z-axis, then scaled up to fill the frame.
Adding a camera with DOF enabled, I changed the focus to keep the skater crisp, blurring the background. I then keyframed a dolly, making the skater appear to move faster than the background itself.
This was just a piece I put together as proof of concept. It's an effect I plan to use on the final piece as a break away section, transitioning from scene to scene. In my mind, it would be done when introducing a character being interviewed; "Hi, I'm Chris" *Transition showing Chris on the hoverboard*

This effect is used in both film and game,
Film example, The Walking Dead Intro (AMC);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_651539&feature=iv&src_vid=O8W9qr7DB-o&v=yYveggi9zxI
Centipede running across shells and Prison pan at the end are good examples of this.

Game example, Infamous (PS3, Sucker Punch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV45E6D47Hw
The Cutscenes in InFamous (And Infamous2) are done in a comic style, subtle animation for the character animation, backgrounds holding the more "In Your Face" animation. Using the different Planes, it adds great effect, adding depth to the 2D art.

No comments:

Post a Comment